Thank you for repeating what you just said. Sometimes more than once. I realize that it’s frustrating, especially if you need to repeat everything you say. I’ve been there, with people who wear hearing aids and with people who need hearing aids. It’s not easy to be patient, it’s not easy to repeat yourself so many times, but you have been patient and you have repeated yourself.
I spent this past weekend with some friends and I noticed that every time I spoke with one of them I asked her to repeat herself.
Every. Single. Time.
She didn’t get frustrated.
She didn’t say ‘Nevermind’ and end the conversation.
She didn’t stop talking to me because she was tired of repeating herself.
I can tell you that I was frustrated. I wouldn’t blame her if she had said ‘never mind’. And I certainly wouldn’t have blamed her for finding someone else to talk to. But she didn’t, and for that, I’m eternally grateful for such a wonderful friend.
It’s not easy to need hearing aids. It’s not easy to ask people to repeat themselves so many times. It’s not easy to depend on my friends, family, and co-workers to help me hear.
There have been many days and even weeks when I’ve been frustrated and angry about needing hearing aids. There have been many times I wished I didn’t need them. There have been times where I’ve felt ashamed of my disability.
And you know what? That’s ok.
It’s ok to feel frustration, anger, rage, and shame. It’s not easy. I wish I could say it gets easier. Surrounding myself with people who support me and who care make it easier. Being patient and utilizing the tactics I discuss in this blog make it easier. Wearing my hearing aids makes it easier.
To my friends, family, colleagues, and acquaintances, THANK YOU for making it easier.
If you find yourself in my situation, realize that having hearing loss is not easy. But getting hearing aids is a tremendous first step towards making life just a little bit easier.
No comments:
Post a Comment