A few months ago, I wrote about closed captioning. In that article, I mentioned that I don’t like
to go to the movies because of the options available for hard of hearing people
aren’t very good. In my experience, the
movies which had closed captioning on the screen weren’t played with any
regularity or at very convenient times to make that a viable option. Also, the closed caption devices which
displayed the dialogue on the screen through a device which is held only by the
person that needs it were not very good at keeping in place with the
dialogue. For example, the captioning
would either be a few seconds ahead or behind of the actual dialogue playing in
the movie, which is incredibly difficult to deal with. Because of this experience, I have avoided
going to movies and have opted to skip seeing the movies in the theater and to
wait for them to come out on DVD or streaming service, which have closed
captioning.
Well, this spring and summer have a massive lineup of new
releases which I would love to see on the big screen. I decided to test the
closed captioning devices out on two movies this weekend and I’m thrilled to
report that in both cases the closed captioning devices work without a glitch
and now I’m to see all the movies I’m anxious to see on the big screen!
I began by asking the ticket counter where to get a device
which in both cases was the ticket counter.
They asked me which theater I was going to be in so that they could give
me the right device. The devices they
gave me have a screen attached via a long, flexible arm to a piece that fits
securely into a cup holder. I had to
apply a little effort to get the device into the cup holder, but it didn’t
budge for the rest of the movie. I then
positioned the captioning screen so that it was just below the bottom of the
movie screen in my field of vision.
I will admit that it did take a while to get used to moving
my eyes from the movie screen down to the captioning screen, but the movies I
saw contained dialogue from people with strong accents which I’m certain I
would not have heard or understood if I hadn’t had the captioning device. Using the device was well worth the
adjustment and greatly outweighed any inconvenience.
I give many kudos to the companies that have made this
captioning device functional and simple to use. I was also incredibly impressed
with the staff at the theaters who made sure that I was familiar with the
devices and had employees test a device when the movies started to ensure that
they were working properly. That’s incredible attention to detail! These
devices will greatly enhance my movie-going experiences and I no longer must
wait for movies to come out for home use to be able to see them!
Until next time, please keep in mind that if you need
hearing aids and don't wear them, you should!
If you know someone who needs them and doesn't, do them a favor and talk
to them. If you need to, send them to
this site. It's ok to wear hearing aids,
there are lots of us who do!
No comments:
Post a Comment