I have written before about advocating for yourself, what to
do if a hearing aid battery dies, and meeting new people. I also try to mention in every single post
about the realities of wearing hearing aids and how you 1) You need to wear
your hearing aids, 2) Your physical location will help you hear better, 3)
Water is not your friend and 4) It is not enough to just wear your hearing
aids. Well, the skill I want to talk
about today is an extremely powerful tool to help you hear and covers items 1,
2 and 4 I listed above.
That tool is Reading Lips.
I am not an expert on how to develop this skill because I
don’t remember how I did. I suggest that
you search the internet, talk to your Audiologist and to a speech pathologist
about things you can do to develop your lip-reading skills. However, I do want to impress upon you that
it is a skill that is invaluable, and I’d like to give you a couple of examples
of why it’s important.
When I meet new people, besides acknowledging that I wear
hearing aids and answering their questions, I usually tell them that I read
lips and if I am not looking at them, they should assume that I can’t hear
them. Also, maybe they could wait until I look at them before saying whatever
they need to say. This is especially
true in restaurants or places where there is a lot of background noise. Hearing Aid technology has come a long way
with regard to reducing background noise, but they aren’t perfect and the
background noise can interfere with regular conversation. The cool thing is, in loud situations with a
lot of background noise (restaurants, concerts, bars, sports events, etc.),
I’ve found that being able to read lips means that I can ‘hear’ my conversation
partners better than they can me!
When I was younger, my family and I agreed that if they
wanted to talk to me and I was in another room in the house, that they or I
would move to the same room so that I could see them when they wanted to talk
to me. This follows ‘assume when I am
not looking at you, I can’t hear you’.
Reading Lips comes in handy in situations where you find
yourself unable to wear your hearing aids.
For example, at the swimming pool, in hot tubs, sauna’s, the shower, or
most occasions involving water. I plan
to write about water in future posts, but for now, know that water and hearing
aids don’t mix (unless they’re waterproof).
I’ve been able to participate in many water-based activities in part
because I can read lips and because I have wonderful friends and family who
understand that I can’t hear them unless I’m looking at them.
Some things make reading lips more difficult: Heavy facial
hair (especially mustaches), people who talk without moving their lips very
much and people talking with their mouths full of food. In those situations, I usually find myself asking
people to repeat themselves more often or to slow down when they talk.
Conclusion
It takes time to develop the skills necessary to read
lips. However, I strongly believe that
reading lips is a huge part of my hearing.
While my hearing aids are wonderful at helping me hear, reading lips provides
another way for me to hear the subtle nuances of speech which I cannot hear
even with my hearing aids. I suggest
that you talk with your audiologist and a speech pathologist and make a
deliberate effort to develop those skills.
They will immensely improve your interpersonal quality of life and help
you when you’re in conversation with your colleagues, friends, and family. Don’t forget to advocate for yourself and
make sure that your conversation partner knows that you can’t hear them unless
you’re looking at them.
Until next time, please keep in mind that if you need
hearing aids and don't wear them, you should!
If you know someone who needs them and doesn't, do them a favor and talk
to them. If you need to, send them to
this site. It's ok to wear hearing aids,
there are lots of us who do!
No comments:
Post a Comment